Saturday, November 22, 2014

Free sew along part 13!

Happy Saturday!

I meant to get this up early this morning, but I actually slept in for the first time in I don't know how long! I'm an early riser.....ever since I was a kid. I loved getting to school as early as the early bus kids to socialize with my pals who rode the bus! Mom and Dad always got us up early on weekends to do chores, and for church. It was a good thing, because when I joined the Navy, I had to get up EARLY!!!! My husband is also a very early bird too, probably for all the same reasons. Even after I was out of the service, I liked getting up early to make my husbands lunch for work, and have coffee with him before he left. I was a stay at home Mom until our youngest was about 13. That was when we opened the Quilt shop. That early morning time was really nice for me, because it was a time for me to have some quiet before the short order cook took over once the kids woke up for school! It was a great time for sewing, or reading. I love my mornings, but today......that sleeping in really felt good. I must have needed the extra rest from all I have been up to lately!

Enough of that!.....here are some shots of last weeks block all appliquéd, and then the new one!

 

Chester is sooooo glad there is a small bed in my sewing room! It's very tiring watching my fabric fly around!

 

The background is cut 7" x 13", to be trimmed down to 6 1/2" x 12 1/2" after applique is complete. It really makes for nice square blocks!

I used cotton brown print for the spool, green cotton for the 1/4" wide (finished) stems, and a red print cotton for the flowers. I have wools in different colors for the leaves, and green wool centers for the flowers. The template is on my website...www.woolenwillowdesigns.com, and you'll notice there will be embroidery on the spool! I plan to use a Valdani perle cotton with a back stitch on mine. I'll post another picture when it's done. I like needle turn applique for the cotton, so that is why my pieces are larger than the template, for my seam allowance!

I almost forgot! Make another row of flying geese! Instructions are in the Aug 26 post!!!

Have a great weekend, and most likely I won't get another block up until after Thanksgiving!

I'm loving all the pictures you are sending through email and my Woolen Willow Designs Facebook page! If you happen to be on my personal Facebook page, I don't ever post anything there. I'm sorry! Go to my Woolen Willow page by finding the link on my website!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeni

 

7 comments:

  1. I know we are related....but I didn't get the "get up early" bug until I had kids....LOL I think our mom let us sleep in for the peace and quiet!! LOL Love your new block!!! Give Chester a pat on the head for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! Thanks! I will give him a kiss too! Give softie a belly scratch for me!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to read more about you. Early bird catches the best worms! Thanks again for a lovely block, your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leeanne! You are welcome, and Chester is a fun furry guy to know!
      Jeni

      Delete
  3. It is so good to have a sleep in now and again. Good for you. Thank you for another great block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be a part of this group. I love the blocks. Could you send me information please.

    ReplyDelete